Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hope for Comfort.

The appointment with Dr. Haslem today was a confirmation of things that we think we already knew, but it was still important to hear it from him. His blood tests confirmed DIC...which basically means that her blood won't clot because the cells are battling each other and it is a side effect of the cancer. There isn't anything that can be done to stop the bleeding.

With those results he did tell her that there isn't anything else he can do for her. He told her not to give up hope. At this point we hope for comfort. I liked the way he put that. With what little time she does have left he recommended staying comfortable and spending time with those she loves. We have also adjusted her pain meds so that we will just use the patches and morphine.

We will go back on hospice now and hopefully have someone staying with her through the night. The family that has been here has been incredible, but it is time to call in the professionals! I continue to read her cards, email and facebook messages to her and she has tried to respond when she has the energy...she is thinking of each of you and is so grateful for the love. I did notice that she has tried to tell people to read the blog for the latest info. She may be lacking the ability to respond to everyone and feels overwhelmed and frustrated at times.

We are doing our best to make mom feel comfortable and loved. We apologize when we have to turn away visitors or phone calls, but please know that we are grateful for all of you.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks Valerie, I love you. Can I send flowers? Where would I send them to? What's her favorite kind? Or if there is something else that might put a smile on for a moment, if there is time. Tell her we'll see her in Heaven and I expect she'll be the best aunt babysitter if Joren has to come home early someday! He'll have more fun than ever from all the stories/comments I've been reading on her FB page : )!!!! Love you all lots, hope there is lots of help for all of you through this. xo Alisha...and Chris, Joren & Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill,

    You have made such a difference in my life! I will remember your example when I teach, when I do yoga, when I enjoy the world's beauty, when I release butterflies, when I spend time with my family, when I say good-bye to those I love...
    I will remember YOU...Daily!
    Love, Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill,
    I'm so glad I was able to come down for the first grade get together! It was so good to see you. I have missed being in the classroom next to you. You are an amazing Woman, Teacher, 'Work Mom', and Daughter of God! I love you so much!
    Love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill,
    You and your family are in our thoughts, everyday. We love you and are sending our prayers for all of you.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill, as I keep thinking about you, I am grateful for the years I have known you. My kids and I pray that you may feel comforted in these last moments. Thanks for being you.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Jill, We love you so much!! We are grateful for your love and service. Sadie adores you, and thanks you for being her first grade teacher. There must be a full class of 1st grader waiting for you up there!! And I look forward to making heavenly quilts with you!! Thankyou for inspiring us And we have become stronger through watching your example of strengh. We love you, We love you, We love you!
    -Sara and Sadie Gilberg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill,

    You have no idea how much you have touched my life and the life of my family. We all love you so very much! There is so much gratitude, appreciation and love for you in my heart. I don't even know where to begin. I pray often for your comfort and for your family to be blessed with peace. And I look forward to a heavenly reunion with you again someday.

    May God be with you and your loved ones.

    Dion

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill, I just wanted to let you know that our prayers and our hearts have been with you. We have been thinking of you all the time and praying that you will be comforted. You are such an inspiration to us. You are so strong and so full of faith. I admire your organization skills, your amazing teaching abilities, your ability to do everything well that you try, your love for others and ability to reach them, and your commitment to the Lord. You are such an amazing aunt and I am so grateful for your sweet influence in my life. I will miss you. I love you!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jill,

    I have only known you for a short time now but what an expiration and great example you are to me. I pray for you to have comfort, strength, and hope. I pray for your family to have strength and hope a this time.

    Till we meet again,
    Love Helen

    ReplyDelete