Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A spank.

It is hard to believe it is already Wednesday. Joel and Kristan stayed Sunday and Monday night with mom. I showed up yesterday mid-day to help out and mom had been refusing her medications. The whole situation was a little bit ironic to be honest. I refused to swallow pills as a teenager and still to this day I do not like anyone watching me get one down. So I am sitting there encouraging mom to take her pills so that she won't be constipated and she won't experience pain. She keeps telling me she can't do it (talk about coming full circle) and I am telling her that she can and should. So she says, "Val, if you don't stop I am going to spank you." I gave up after that. Still afraid of mom after all of these years!

The hospice nurse encouraged her and she has been better the last 24 hours about taking what she needs. She woke up this morning wanting a shower which she hasn't wanted in a couple days. She is also sleeping more and I believe more deeply. Today she had a 2 1/2 hour nap. The hospice chaplain came by today and asked if mom had been talking to anyone that we couldn't see. I told him no, but she did ask who's baby was on the floor (in a completely empty area) ...NOT MINE!

I feel like we are in a holding pattern right now. She has said that she doesn't want visitors anymore, but she is still taking a few bites of food everyday and drinking a little Boost and water. More often than not I feel like she is somewhere else. I wish she would speak up a little more and tell us what she is seeing. I truly believe that we are being comforted through all of the prayers for mom and our family. We continue to be blessed. Thank you.

8 comments:

  1. Jill:
    I talked with Karlene. She updated me about your condition and she gave me this blog address.
    It was so good to be with you at the first grade "reunion." I've really been out of the loop; it was hard to read this, as I just saw you a couple of weeks ago. It seems only a couple of months since I inquired and learned that your response to the medication was positive and effective. But unbeknownst to me, it wasn't the case. You really fooled me! What a ROCK! You ARE always thinking of others. You have always amazed me and continue to do so! Your strength and humor is truly inspiring. Thanks for sharing so much of yourself and being you! I will continue to think and pray for you.
    Affectionately,
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the laugh Val (and Aunt Jill :) It is really special to hear what the hospice Chaplain had to say. It really is a comfort knowing that this life is just a piece of the journey...an important one, but that loved ones can greet us on the other side of the veil. How special to know that in difficult times the veil can get thinner. Love you guys, do hope you have lots of help and comfort. xo Alisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found out the news about Jill. So sorry to hear it. You're in our prayers!

    -- Emily (Atwood, former neighbors) West

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless you dear Jill. You have been His gift to us all and now he takes you back into His loving embrace.
    Oona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jill, my daughter Mikayla is in your current first grade class. She wants to tell you that she loves you very much. You are such a big important part of her life. You also gave her learning tools that she will use her whole life. We were so lucky to have you as her teacher this year. Thank you for being so courageous and loving. You have inspired me, and I know that you have inspired Mikayla. With love and prayers, Natalie Metzger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill you are wonderful teacher, mentor, friend and mostly a mother. I remember when I was pregnant with Haylee you came into my room and talked to me about being a mother. With tears in your eyes you told me to love her with all my heart and to enjoy and live every minute with her because time passes by so quickly. I want you to know I am taking your advice enjoying all the giggles, cries and fun moments with her everyday. You are such an inspiration in so many ways and will be missed by everyone. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill, You guided me through those first grade years with Andrew and Taylor. You were the gift, that God sent, to help me make the decision to let Taylor be a first-grader when he should have been in kindergarten. And you were the one who maintained your sense of humor when dearest Taylor claimed that the reason he was so cranky was because he wasn't allowed to eat lunch!! You sat with him through several lunches after that, and that still takes my breath away. Gracious!! Taylor is a senior in high school now. He remembers you lovingly, and he remembers room 1.

    Jill, for ever and ever I will hold you next to my heart. Dearest Jill -- my boys are who they are, even little Daniel (the high school freshman), because you held them so close to your heart.

    God has very big plans for you...

    With love, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  8. JIll
    You were the literacy coach at three falls when I started teaching and helped me so much. You threw me a baby shower for my first baby and took me under your arm. Thanks so much for caring I will never forget you you helped me become a great teacher. I love you
    and you and your family are in my prayers
    Love
    amanda Crane

    ReplyDelete